Implemented: Prevent Barb Nobling

DeletedUser

In the thread No Barbs world?!?! it is established there is a server setting to prevent barbs from being created. I suggest a new setting that allows barbarian or bonus villages to be automaticall created and for players to farm but prevents them from being being nobled .

I personally find that barb nobling slows down the game and takes away the war element of it, I do however like having something to farm. I know that my dislike of barb noblers is shared by many I play with (I'm sure there are some advocates of barb nobling out there as well).

This setting would also encourage tribes to focus on keeping their members active - since if they go inactive they will have very limitted time to internally noble them before the player goes barb and can then only be farmed.

As an additional element maybe include a setting to prevent barb nobling but allow bonus nobling - I'm not really certain on whether this really would make much difference though and unless bonus frequency was increased it could give an unreasonable advantage to people who spawn near a bonus village.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

mhh i dont know..imagine this world would have been running 2 years and all the accounts have some million points, and there are still soo mny barbarbs? who would still go farming when you have 100 or 1000 villages? this would only be very few people, the ones who can be online 24/7 and play the account with 10 people in one account where every player farms 1 hour a day :D
this would give a huge advantage to the players who are not to lazy to go farming even when they have soo much villages that farming starts to hurt :D

but..i dont think that farming always should be a that big topic^^ i think its good that after some time the barbs are gone and farming is over..

and another problem: when nobody can noble barbars they will get more very fast...at the end 95% or so of the world are grey and the next players are faaar away, only barbs around you^^ i dont think that this is so funny^^

DeletedUser

hmmmmm - maybe you have a point there, in respect of the abandoned villages. How about if this new setting had barbarians that are server generated and can never be nobled, but you could still noble the abandoned villages.

I think that one reason why many people give up farming is because the barbs are nobled and there are very few farms left.

DeletedUser1021

How about if the barbs can only be nobled when they have grown to a set size, eg 3500 points.
that would solve both problems.

This way, if a player is farming barbs, he would just need to keep the barbs below 3500 by catting its buildings,
if not farming, the barb grows +3500 and can be nobled.

DeletedUser

your enemy will cat down your farms and you his
very nice^^

DeletedUser1021

It would bring a new element to the game and stop unwanted neighbours from nobling a barb next to you

DeletedUser

Many players make a deff reserve far away from their main villages. Many play nobling barbs one by one and building unbreakable stronghold. Why the offensive players always think only their way of living is the best?

Between ten top players on this world at least seven are barb noblers. Why do you want them to quit? Because they are better?

DeletedUser1021

Many players make a deff reserve far away from their main villages. Many play nobling barbs one by one and building unbreakable stronghold. Why the offensive players always think only their way of living is the best?

Between ten top players on this world at least seven are barb noblers. Why do you want them to quit? Because they are better?
Did you read the whole thread?

How about if the barbs can only be nobled when they have grown to a set size, eg 3500 points.
that would solve both problems.

This way, if a player is farming barbs, he would just need to keep the barbs below 3500 by catting its buildings,
if not farming, the barb grows +3500 and can be nobled.
barb-munchers would still be able to erm..munch.

This idea was suggested as a world setting.So just like any other setting, if you don't like it,you don't play that world.
Plus I don't know where you go that quitting idea from,you are the only person to mention the word quit.

DeletedUser1013

On this world that may have happened, but on a server like .net it just wouldn't, they would have been nobled a long long time ago.

I love this idea, personally I hate Barb noblers, granted there can be the occasional tactical reason to take one, but players who do nothing in the early game but noble barbarian villages are boring, gutless and in my opinion not ever enjoying the game to it's fullest capacity.

Furthermore, this would obviously be a setting, like all the other settings, some worlds would have it some wouldn't. If barb nobling is a way of life for you and leaves you feeling satisfied and proud then you can always go play a world with barb nobling enabled. It will go nice on a world with a tribe limit of 2000 players, where alliances, family tribes and mergers are super-cool! :p

DeletedUser73

Excuse me for (temporarily) pursuing a different route, but I've personally always been a fan of discouragement as opposed to prevention -the freedom the game currently allows in making your own decision is great- so I'm going to throw out a few discouragement-based ideas here to see if they catch anyone's eye:

-Nobles reduce loyalty by less with each hit on barbs?
-High point barbs produce troops? (5K?)
-Changing the construction behaviour of barbs to focus more on 'undesirable' buildings?

DeletedUser1021

at 5k points, most players would noble the barb ,so whether its makes troops or not would make no difference.
Its the -2k that annoys many players.
They spend many hours shaping the barbs (with cats) and somebody else nobles it.

Reduced loyalty per noble hit and focus more on 'undesirable' buildings are good idea's, but the nature of the barb nobler is just to noble the next closest
barb village regradless of size or content. So that player would only have a slight inconcevince by having to make an extra 3-4 nobles runs at the barb.

I have taken on board what you have said 'discouragement as opposed to prevention',so I'll be back as and when I think of more ideas on this.

DeletedUser

not really serious
but imagine your new village crashes randomly to half the points
barbarians! *pff

DeletedUser803

I like this very much: 10/10

but would like to see this start when barbs reach 1k points

This isn't a bad idea either: 7/10

have the loyalty at 1/4 the normal so it would take around 10-12 attacks to conquer, anything less would not be much of a discouragement, it would just slow them down a little

this one i'm not to hot on, it's okay idea, but not my favorite: 4/10

-Changing the construction behaviour of barbs to focus more on 'undesirable' buildings?

I would also like to see barb villages with the ability to attack back if they are attacked.
:0

DeletedUser

Excuse me for (temporarily) pursuing a different route, but I've personally always been a fan of discouragement as opposed to prevention -the freedom the game currently allows in making your own decision is great- so I'm going to throw out a few discouragement-based ideas here to see if they catch anyone's eye:

I've always had this sort of idea in my head for discouragement of barb nobling, as I'm a big hater of it myself, I believe it prolongs worlds while some are trying to fight to win, others are nobling barbs and extending the life of the world, while people just get bored and move on from it.

So I always thought:
-Barbarians don't only increase to the barb limit (3k points?), when a player goes barb, it downgrades to the barb limit as well.
-Barbarian point limits change as the world ages, at 6 months maybe it drops to 2/3's the limit, at 1 year, 1/3 and at 2 years, 1/6th? (3k to 2k to 1k to 500 points?) or (1k to 666 to 333 to 167)

I believe it'd discourage barb nobling to continue as the world ages.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Since someone linked here, wondering if there's any other feedback?

DeletedUser

I like the idea of the shrinking barbs but as I suggested in the thread I started I would prefer them only to shrink down to 1500 points to remain viable farms. It would greatly reduce the number of villages thus shorten the length of the world which would increase the retainage of players in my opinion.

DeletedUser1313

personally, I like the idea of Barbs being farms until the max out the barb point limit. (then is when they can be nobled)

also, like many other gamers, I shape my barbs by often reducing certain pits so I can down size certain pits in my villa's to gain a troop advantage and when someone nobles a barb within my cluster it screws up my pits. Grrrr....

so.. for me to keep point levels down and keep peeps from nobling I'd only have to cat my barbs HQ to lower points. (Sounds reasonable and effectively eliminates the barb nobler from my clusters.)

There is one other advantage to this as well that some may have over looked. Lets say the world is 18 or more months old. Many war strategies are to noble several barbs within enemy territory and max stack. (some call it a death star approach) This suggestion would force back line support players to be more active and if they aren't it allows the more active, more attentive duke/war mod/barons/players to gain a strategic advantage. So.. in this thought trend, I also really like this idea.

+1

DeletedUser1275

I gotta say I like a barb limit of 2k, just enough to shape it as a farm, but too small to want to waste a noble on without tactical reasons.
Barbs producing troops gives the farmers a negative effect.
You farm because you want to grow the fattest.
If barbs start producing troops or grow too big the area will be too close built which isn't good for the game. You want people to gain ground, its tribalwars, not turtling-wars.

Barbs should be barbs.
Big barbs -> someone hit the delete button,
small barbs -> grow till 2000 points (or 1500 in some worlds).
Bonus villa's -> sometimes good to noble in the beginning to get an edge.

I play in a world where I pay ~30 million of every resource for a new noble (coin world, expensive etc.) . A barb just ain't worth that kind of resources.

In a church world that will even be worse, if someone clusters a block of 100 villa's then taking those will be very hard.
If there are many barbs in between, that means more churches per cluster because of the size, it's far more competitive.

I think I'm speaking for most of the Old-world big guys, alot of changes are being made into the game, some good, but some are just preventing us from starting on a new world.
It's a shame the less-active guys get so many extra things vs. good old fashioned hard work.

DeletedUser

You do realize that the majority of players out there will noble a 1000 point barb because it won't retaliate as opposed to nobling the 9000 point player village right?

a 2k barb can be grown up very quickly, a 2k barb is hardly a deterant from nobling. (not that I'm in that majority, I hate noblign 9k barbs)

DeletedUser561

This should work very well. Assume a world has a set limit, where barbs only grow to something like 1500 points. This means you have villages that are at a decent level to farm without needing to split your LC up into tiny numbers; additionally, they cannot get nobled by random noobs (screws up your scripts or bookmarks big time) - but you can still noble moderately large players who deleted/restarted/left, since as long as their villages are over 3500 points, they can be nobled.

However I still think this should be an optional setting; as much as I hate when players noble barbs left right & center, it should not be implemented on all worlds.

All terrible ideas, sorry.