Implemented: Troop Manager Improvements

DeletedUser73

Here's a general concept layout of some improvements that can be made to the troop manager. I still intend to work in a 'build priorities' feature into there somewhere, but the main gist is there. Am I overlooking stuff? Am I missing a possible improvement?

Disclaimer:
This was written assuming the readers have some grasp of the current workings of the Troop Manager.
Yes, this is what Typhi has been working on instead of chatting you guys up. :'[

----
Troop Manager

Functionality Improvement:
Identifying the issue:
This is a troop manager - the ideal outcome is for players to be able to easily fill in their troops numbers and know that their village is on its way to being "done".

> 1. A problem currently is that players know how many troops they want of a certain sort in the village total. As it stands, they're left to figure out how many more troops they need in order to reach that mark on their own. That frankly makes the Troop Manager marginally useless for the task most players will want to use it for, since villages will nearly always have a different number of troops already in them, rendering the ability to apply a blanket number of additional troops irrelevant.

> 2. Secondly, players really don't want to enter the same values again and again every time they add more villages to a certain group in order to bring it up to speed - it's a useless hassle. Sure, they'll make scripts to input predefined numbers of troops, but we don't want to encourage script reliance.

Proposed fixes:
> 1. Modify to make it possible to fill in a desired total troop numbers, much like in the Village manager you can fill in a desired total building level. Instead of the empty white boxes we currently have, we could have the number of troops currently in the village, including those currently being recruited (those would be coloured in green). Desired troop levels could be filled in the generic boxes along the top of the screen, with a button to apply those along all villages shown below.

A tricky part is how and when the Troop Manager is supposed to add the troops it is supposed to build to the queues. My initial proposal would be to do it in groups of 50 or so, as that does not represent a large investment of either time or resources. When a particular building is scheduled to recruit multiple unit types, it'd vary the frequency with which it queues the groups of units in order to reach the desired levels at around the same time.
(Example: the Troop Manager is ordered to build a total of 6k spears and 2k swords while 0 of both are currently in the village. It'd queue 3 groups of spears to every 1 group of swords.)

One problem with 'desired troop level' building is of course the matter of Farm Space. There obviously isn't a concrete upper limit the way there is with buildings. Tricky. Hm. What comes to mind is colouring the queues that have been paused - due to not having enough farm space - yellow or something similar. Hovering over the population stats of a village would show a tooltip of the relevant information: what troops are currently present in the village and what the desired amount is. In a column next to those, it'd show the farm space required by both those values. If players want to make changes to the village in order to accommodate the troop numbers they want, they can click into the village on the village name which is already available - if not, they can hit a 'done/satisfied' icon (a small checkmark?) off to the side, which would cancel the sets of troops the Troop Manager did not (and could not) queue.

A second problem is how powerful this would be if it would always keep trying to build to the desired troop level - think of villages being attacked, and then rebuilding themselves without any kind of player input. That'd be taking things a step too far, I think, so rather than a constant desired troop level per village, the 'desired troop level' info filled into the various boxes on the Troop Manager screen would have troop losses subtracted from them, meaning players would need to run another 'sweep' of the Troop Manager on any villages in order to fix the troops. This would still allow players to set up a queue of say 100,000,000 axes for example in order to get infinitely refilling queues, so the amount of troops submitted would need to be checked for compliance with the maximum population possibility (24,000). When totals are submitted, the troops that would bring the population above 24,000 should be shaved off in equal proportions.

> 2. Customizable troop-number-fill-in templates are definitely something to look into. I'm thinking that players would get a popup containing the input boxes for the various unit types and a name field. The names of the various templates would then be available along the side somewhere and clicking them would fill in their values.

Summary:
- Allow for filling in Desired Total Troop levels in order to make it an easier and more efficient tool.
- Add troop-number templates.

UI Improvement:
Identifying the issue:
Many players seem to be experiencing difficulty with understanding how to make the Troop Manager do what they want. This is easily mended by including detailed instructions as done here, but that the instructions are necessary in the first place indicates that the current implementation simply isn't intuitive enough and overcomplicated.

Proposed fixes:
> 1. Move the main input boxes (currently all grouped together in the top left) into a row slightly above and in line with the village input boxes.

> 2. Assuming we make use of the 'desired troop levels' idea, we can scrap 2 of the 3 troop insertion options we currently have and instead replace them with a single "down arrow" icon that would have a functionality along the same lines as the current "earmark queue" button. (See Fix 1. above for more information on how that would work.)

Summary:
- Move input boxes down to a row parallel village input boxes.
- Scrap the unnecessary insertion options and replace with a single icon.

Concept Image of everything combined:
[spoil]
troop_manager_concept.png
[/spoil]

fp0815

Staemme in my heart <3
Reaction score
I like your ideas for the improvements of the troop manager, because the troop manager is really annoying in the actual version.

What I would like to suggest is to use layout the German players will already know from a mass recruitment script used on .DE as you can see it here:

[SPOIL]
download.php
[/SPOIL]

In my opinion the layout is quite perfect and the script is doing a great job. Also the management of desired troops using the already available groups is perfect from my point of view. So, additional templates for troop sizes wouldn't be necessary.

Anyway I think that the resources in this screen are not really needed. I'm not sure about the farmspace here, but in general it could be removed here as well, what would offer some free space for any other additional information and it would reduce the length of the list, because the resources need 3 lines actually per row. ^^

What I would also like to suggest here is to modify the troop manager that you can only set up a troop configuration if a village is not already full, because with the actual solution you just need to set up troops for a village and the troop manager builds them automatically as soon as the farm space is available.

DeletedUser

@Typhi: Very good ideas! It's quite annoying to have to calculate "How many troops left?" every time, and the "Desired troops" field is a great solution for this. Only one thing is a bit... well... abnormal: In every "build" page, there's simply one "Okay" button that starts the desired action - so I think it's better to put one of these instead of the down arrow :)

And maybe a input field like "Leave farm places free" and the same for ressources, like @chisum suggested, is also a pretty good idea!

So: +1 (Y) for all of these ideas

DeletedUser73

chisum: I can see the advantages of binding the templates to the groups players have already made, but since players have a variety of different ways of setting up groups, and some villages belong to multiple groups, it may be better to allow them the freedom of separate templates.
Ah, agreed about the resources, removed.
Added a 'save as template' button because I saw it on your image, useful
The buffer in the concept image below requires a lot less space than the one in your image of that script :D
What does 'build further' do?
I think I already covered the issue of queuing troops above the farm limit:
This would still allow players to set up a queue of say 100,000,000 axes for example in order to get infinitely refilling queues, so the amount of troops submitted would need to be checked for compliance with the maximum population possibility (24,000). When totals are submitted, the troops that would bring the population above 24,000 should be shaved off in equal proportions.

robertscharzl: Ah yes, well, the arrow was only meant as a 'fill in' button. I've added a 'recruit' button next to it, now.

troop_manager_concept11.png

fp0815

Staemme in my heart <3
Reaction score
What does 'build further' do?

It just continues the production of that unit even if the desired troops are reached if there is still some free farm space.

edit/
As we have two lines for each village the troops could be shown in two lines as well. The first line could show the troops in the village and in the next line the total troops could be shown as it is in the normal recruitment screens already (but only wrapped to two lines).

Last edited: