Rejected: Military Town

DeletedUser

So recently we saw the removal of 'Army Camps' from the game, this caused quite a bit of debate with some people resenting the removal of the camps.

My idea is a sort of evolution of that principle, trying to find something more 'workable'

A town can be turned into a military town, holding some of the similar functionality to the way army camps worked;

- The cost of this transformation should be very high in both population and resource cost and be made through a building (similar to how the church works), possibly adding a continuous cost to other villages to keep it running, maybe when this cost cannot be maintained anymore the town would revert.
- All production in the town would shut down when it is turned into a military town, this would have several effects, such as walls not being possible to rebuild etc. until the town was converted back to a regular town.
- The town would then be able to function as rally point for troops sent there, whether or not troops return or get sent home is something that would be decided.
- The visual display of this type of town should be clearly marked on the map so the enemy knows about it, possibly a castle style graphic.

What's the difference?

- Well you can't just plant it anywhere, it can only be made where you have a well developed village with a high enough farm level and high enough warehouse to store resources to make the conversion.
- It is a much more defendable position, since you can build walls, but isn't overly powerful since you cannot rebuild those walls without first converting the town back.
- It would have an ongoing cost for the builder of the army town, so another option to take out the army town would be to 'starve' it out by keeping other villages of the player farmed or taken over.

Some things to think about and discuss when discussing this idea;

- Should control of the units in the town be given to the owner of the town or kept with the original army owners? This was part of the difficulty with them due to the massive coordination effort needed to use them effectively.
- Should armies sent there have to function as they were sent, or could they be split up into smaller groups, or merged into bigger groups perhaps with a max farm space allowed per command?

DeletedUser1021

I think this is less complicated than army-camps.

I see it as a designated tribe members village turned into a launching platform for a one-off giant nuke attack ,which can be launched against a stacked village.
A total of 15 armies or a set number of troops/farmspace population (315k), can be sent to the village, to be controled by the military-camp owner.

A time limit that the troops can remain in the village must be applied.(eg 48 hours) and then the troops return home.

The advantage being that the player gets to fire a super-nuke.
The disadvantage being that his village is becomes an easy target.

DeletedUser

I hadn't intended it being used for a super nuke, that was why i put in the point about there being a maximum farm space size that any 1 command could be. Whilst I like many others would just love to get my hands on a super nuke like that lol, I believe it has been clearly stated by the devs that a super nuke is something that will never be allowed, same a sieging a town etc.

DeletedUser

Good question, certainly it could be nobled like any other town, I hadn't considered whether the feature would stay or disappear like the church would. Perhaps that would be something nice to leave open for discussion, or maybe used as a feature to balance the idea.

fp0815

Staemme in my heart <3
Reaction score
I like the idea, because it looks much simpler than army camps.

Would it be possible to have multiple military towns for each player?

DeletedUser

- The cost of this transformation should be very high in both population and resource cost and be made through a building (similar to how the church works), possibly adding a continuous cost to other villages to keep it running, maybe when this cost cannot be maintained anymore the town would revert.
I really like the idea of surrounding towns having to maintain the town with resources. The problem is which villages that should pay? I suggest:

• Only villages within a certain radius are able to pay this cost, and that radius should be displayed on the map, like the church radius
  • A list within the Military Town overview is added, where you can check or uncheck whether a certain village should pay or not
- All production in the town would shut down when it is turned into a military town, this would have several effects, such as walls not being possible to rebuild etc. until the town was converted back to a regular town.
I completely agree to this. Question is, should building queues be interrupted? I think not.
- The town would then be able to function as rally point for troops sent there, whether or not troops return or get sent home is something that would be decided.
I think that they should be returned home after a certain amount of time, so they can't stay forever but they can stay long enough to fulfill the purpose; to give players a long way from the frontlines an easy way to establish a colony.
- Well you can't just plant it anywhere, it can only be made where you have a well developed village with a high enough farm level and high enough warehouse to store resources to make the conversion.
- It is a much more defendable position, since you can build walls, but isn't overly powerful since you cannot rebuild those walls without first converting the town back.
This balances the Military Town from the Army Camp both in favor of the players using it, and those whose enemies use it against them.
  • It can't pop up far behind your front without a good warning
  • The troops there won't die seconds after arrival because of no walls
- Should control of the units in the town be given to the owner of the town or kept with the original army owners? This was part of the difficulty with them due to the massive coordination effort needed to use them effectively.
I suggest that control over the units should remain with the owner of the army, otherwise it turns into a way of giving troops to your tribemate, instead of helping him out with them. Actually, I think it would come close to pushing.
- Should armies sent there have to function as they were sent, or could they be split up into smaller groups, or merged into bigger groups perhaps with a max farm space allowed per command?
I think they should be the armies they were sent as, or be splitted up into smaller armies from the same village, even though the possibility of merging the armies is intresting.

DeletedUser

Question: Can other people send troops to your military camp? Or can it only accept your own troops?

Also,
I can see an idea like this being used to bust throw low morale targets, so that one doesn't suffer many losses, and although that brings a warm fuzzy to my heart, I believe it'd make morale kind of pointless.

I believe when attacking a smaller player with such a millitary camp, that it should suffer a harder hit on morale, to help offset the imbalance it may create. (not sure what the formula should be, would need someone with a better understanding of the logic behind morale, and the formulas involved).

DeletedUser

Is there a delay (construction time or demolition time of this milita town)?

And since we can't build buildings, could we just cat the rally point and make it useless unless they used the town before it was catted?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

There would definitely be a construction time, i was thinking relatively long, this shouldnt be an easy thing to make and destroy.

Very good question with regards to the rally point, I think somehow the rally point would need to be protected, perhaps even making it impossible to destroy whilst it is a military town. Lets say it is well protected inside the castle.

DeletedUser

There would definitely be a construction time, i was thinking relatively long, this shouldnt be an easy thing to make and destroy.

Very good question with regards to the rally point, I think somehow the rally point would need to be protected, perhaps even making it impossible to destroy whilst it is a military town. Lets say it is well protected inside the castle.

I think it should cost coins aswell, as the Army Camps did.
And yes, the rally point should be protected, but not the other buildings.

DeletedUser

I think it should cost coins aswell, as the Army Camps did.

It depends on who makes the village into a military town. If it will be able to be converted by the tribe, then it should use coins/packets. If it can be converted by an individual player, then it should simply use resources.
Personally, I think it should be able to be converted by the player, not the tribe, because then it doesn't have to be tribally coordinated (a major limitation of the army camp).

And yes, the rally point should be protected, but not the other buildings.

The rally point should not be protected - you should protect it yourself. It adds some more strategy into the mix.

I have a question of my own about this suggestion: Will troops supporting the village prior to its conversion be able to launch out of the village after it's converted? Or must the troops to be launched from the village be sent to the village after it is converted?
In other words, will military towns allow the element of surprise, or will they forewarn the enemy of your impending assault?
Also, will sending troops to be based in a military town have its own command button, or will it use the support button?