Rejected: Recycle Bin for Deleted Messages

DeletedUser

As in the thread title - it is way too easy to accidently delete PM with one misclick

fp0815

Staemme in my heart <3
Reaction score
I think we already have an idea that messages (and maybe reports also) should be put in a recycle bin instead of deleting them directly. Could be restored from there or deleted finally.

DeletedUser73

Mind finding that thread for me, chisum? :icon_blush:

fp0815

Staemme in my heart <3
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I can't find it. :(

Maybe I mixed it with a thread on .DE for it. :eek:

DeletedUser73

Alrighty, new thread topic is a recycle bin for deleted messages!

DeletedUser

would said recycle bin have a cap (as in, it would keep say, the last 20 reports you deleted), or would you have to manually go and delete the reports AGAIN after deleting them once? Honestly, I can't see much of a reason for this: if you wanted to do this as it were you could set it up as it is: just create a "Recycle Bin" group for your reports and move everything there rather than deleting.

I can see two problems with this:

1) Limited Usefulness: The amount of times you would actually use this feature would be few and far between (well, for me anyway). The rest of the time, it would simply mean that it'd take more work simply to delete something, which when you're deleting 1k+ reports of your fakes hitting someone else, can get a bit tedious. In what situations, other than the accidental deletion of a report you didn't mean to delete, would this actually be useful, and how many reports out of the thousands that you might be deleting in a week (late game certainly) would you actually want to restore?

2) Message Space: If everyone were to have a recycle bin, it would at least double the amount of server space being taken up by reports, especially if people forget to empty their recycle bin if they want to actually delete reports. More server space => either slower servers, more chance of lag, and less space for possibly more useful upgrades and additions.

Essentially, I think it would be more of a hindrance one a redular basis than the odd time it would actually be helpful.

DeletedUser974

I don't see a real need for this as far as reports are concerned, because I rarely delete my reports. But I would love to see this for the mail messages.

DeletedUser

would said recycle bin have a cap (as in, it would keep say, the last 20 reports you deleted), or would you have to manually go and delete the reports AGAIN after deleting them once?

Psst.. he said messages, not reports.

And although I share the same sentiment about both, you could ideally put a 7 day hold on this deleted message folder so you'd never have to manage it.