Implemented: True Mass Forwarding Reports

DeletedUser

If this idea isn't implemented I can create something very similar for TwClaimer. As I was thinking about making this, but then someone showed me a link to this topic.

Except, twclaimer doesn't share the same functionality with on the village reports (unless your using a call script to pull data from the twclaimer reports page).

DeletedUser

Except, twclaimer doesn't share the same functionality with on the village reports (unless your using a call script to pull data from the twclaimer reports page).

That would be 1 limit, but I can also implement a script that you click and it makes a popup of all the reports for that village. Or it just adds them to the page.

Of course TwClaimer's wouldn't be at good as Tw's but it will still be better then what there is right now and can be very helpful.

DeletedUser

Any idea if the tribal report bank will be implemented any time soon Typhi?

DeletedUser73

Let's see how far we get with the newly implemented Mass Forwarding feature.

DeletedUser

Typhi,
Would there be anyway to see how many reports are in the reports tables for say w32 .net, would Morthy be able to check that for me?

I have 4800 pages of reports, * 40. 170,000+ reports in my archive folder.
Most of my tribe has the same thing there, they are all duplicated reports, 40x times over as we have 50+ members.

For 1 tribe, 7+ million reports.

I'm sure we're the biggest abuser as I believe intel is key, but if you span that across all the players, even at 1/10th that per player, and there's 1500 players, that's another few million reports.

When those tables get large, they take a while to pull data from, we are seeing it all over w32.

I'd be curious to just see the overall size, and how long it takes a query to pull one report from that table, because right now we are suffering serious lag issues on w32, on the village overview screens, though no one seems to look at it there.

DeletedUser

Let's see how far we get with the newly implemented Mass Forwarding feature.

So the report database isn't being added? Is it be considered, as if its not I can start to make it for TwClaimer.

P.S. I don't want to do the work for nothing if Tw decides to add it in within a few months.

DeletedUser

So the report database isn't being added? Is it be considered, as if its not I can start to make it for TwClaimer.

P.S. I don't want to do the work for nothing if Tw decides to add it in within a few months.

They've added in a mass report forwarding feature, which will allow you to select 40 reports, hit forward, and it'll send a mail to the user asking if they'd like to accept.
If they do, then they get 40 new reports in their folder.

Would be rather duplicate for you to create a report database at this point, though I already see issues with this.
As a tribe who literally forwards 10's of thousands of reports a month, people are going to be getting mail bombed.

Nevermind Tyhpi, I believe I found the info on the number of reports on W32.
Last Report ID I have is 70,013,426.

I'm assuming a table of 70 million reports would take time to query, no?
I can tell you that my village overviews are a pain to even load up, takes literally 10-15 seconds in many cases, depending on how many reports I have for the village.

DeletedUser

when the game on your .net world is soo slow, this cant just be because of the reports..
on many worlds there are so many reports, and the worlds are not so slow
when this happens on your world, you should annoy the responsible people there until they make it better^^ then they should give you better servers or i dont know^^

DeletedUser

The game itself isn't slow (at least w32), everything else is still very quick, it's mainly the village overviews where it's searching the report database for the 10 newest reports for that village that takes time, as well as when you click on a report folder that has 4300 pages in it.

And of course I've reported the slowness :p~

Morthy

Developer
Elder Moderator
Reaction score
70 mill is the number of reports generated since the world started, not the number in the database.

I did check the issue on your account at .net, and looked at the code but came to the conclusion that the only way to speed it up would be to remove that feature.

As with any computer system, the more data stored the longer the query will take to process.

DeletedUser

They've added in a mass report forwarding feature, which will allow you to select 40 reports, hit forward, and it'll send a mail to the user asking if they'd like to accept.

Would be rather duplicate for you to create a report database at this point, though I already see issues with this.
As a tribe who literally forwards 10's of thousands of reports a month, people are going to be getting mail bombed.

Yeah, that was the prime reason I suggested the filters but overall I'm happy with the new feature. I could still see where having the mass forwarding and a tribe report folder would be handy though.

DeletedUser

70 mill is the number of reports generated since the world started, not the number in the database.

I did check the issue on your account at .net, and looked at the code but came to the conclusion that the only way to speed it up would be to remove that feature.

As with any computer system, the more data stored the longer the query will take to process.

That's why an alternate tribal database which grants access to it's members would be better late game, as it'd cut down on stored data.

Maybe we need to make advancements in the area of being able to maintain your reports. I'll admit, I don't need 4300 pages of reports in my archive, but I'll be damned if I'm about to spend 3 hours deleting them one page at a time.

I'd love to be able to delete all reports older than a set date, or even in the filters of reports, being able to set a 'keep reports for xx days' filter, so it deletes everything else after that. (would need to make a lock reports button on individual reports we want to keep, so we dont' get rid of our dodge/farm reports).

Or maybe the solution is a delete mass reports button on each group that will let you delete previous to a date.

In the meantime, I guess i'll be starting a new Archive folder, and in a month deleting the old one. (c:

Last edited by a moderator:

Morthy

Developer
Elder Moderator
Reaction score
How often is that feature used? Maybe it'd be a good idea to make it so you have to click a link or something to load the reports via AJAX, that way the query would only be ran when the data was required.

DeletedUser

How often is that feature used? Maybe it'd be a good idea to make it so you have to click a link or something to load the reports via AJAX, that way the query would only be ran when the data was required.

I use the village overview all the time for checking train times, so I can snipe manually instead of calculating. And although I like to be able to see intel when I click on a village overview, reality is, I don't generally look at that info probably more than 10% of the time I'm on a village overview, so having an alternate click would help.

I dont' suppose you'd be able to delete all my reports older than a month and save me the hassle of manually cutting down my reports? (c:

The oldest one I have is:
DODGE REPORT! Mar 16,2009 22:54

Is only a little old :p~

DeletedUser

i dont get it completely what youre talking about, but if you mean you want to remove the reports from the village info screen, so that you only see them with an extra click, then: PLEASE NOT!! ^^
i nearly only use the village info screen to see the reports there, thats the main part for me
especially on .de where i use gm-scripts to avoid the click on the village info when i want to attack the village or center the village on the map and so on and so on..
only reason why i click to the village info is to see the reports there (or the attacks on it, thats the second thing)
so if every time you want to see the reports there, you need an extra click to load them, this would really be annoying!

then do anything else there, everything would be better than this
-remove the option to send a report to multiple players at 1 time (or to more than 3/.. players at 1 time), so that "multiplying" the reports gets more work^^ and so you have to think about who really needs the reports
-or auto-delete all reports which are older than 4 weeks
-set a report number limit, like every player can only have 1000 reports or so
-or just tell the people its their own fault if they store millions of years-old reports which they will never ever need again!!^^

^In the meantime, I guess i'll be starting a new Archive folder, and in a month deleting the old one. (c:
@AreYouKidden: start an action in your worlds forum to "get active against long loading times" and tell everybody to do just this, to start a new folder for the reports monthly, and after 1 month to delete the old one
then in 4 weeks all the loading time problems will be over, and everybody profits of it

DeletedUser

i dont get it completely what youre talking about, but if you mean you want to remove the reports from the village info screen, so that you only see them with an extra click, then: PLEASE NOT!! ^^

To be fair I wouldn't want to see this either, I've grown quite attached to opening up my 50 noble claims, and recording the info there (without 50 extra clicks), so I can figure out nuking.

then do anything else there, everything would be better than this

-remove the option to send a report to multiple players at 1 time (or to more than 3/.. players at 1 time), so that "multiplying" the reports gets more work^^ and so you have to think about who really needs the reports

Umm no. Late game there are literally thousands of reports that various tribe members can use. We already only forward reports that are important, IE> scout Ops on upcoming targets, clearing nukes on frontline targets, offense/nobles in villages (for mass catting/removal), incoming noble trains so we know where people are getting hit. Some of the reports are a show of bravado, but to have to pick which reports go to who (like I know which player all 50 of my members are hitting at any one time), would be near impossible.

-or auto-delete all reports which are older than 4 weeks

I could live with a feature that was 3 months (I have 2 year old reports). 1 month can be too soon in some cases, as the reports are a show of where defensive vs offensive villages are.

-set a report number limit, like every player can only have 1000 reports or so

And how do you pick which ones disappear? Also I'm getting over 1000 forwarded reports a day. 1 Player scouted for an upcoming Op is 1500 reports.
The number would need to be more around 50,000.

-or just tell the people its their own fault if they store millions of years-old reports which they will never ever need again!!^^

To be honest, this is a side effect from the village overview, being able to see reports, meant that intel became important, so organized tribes started forwarding, and storing reports more.
We just need to improve maintenance on the report folders, so that we can clean them up. I do delete my scout OP reports as I store them in their own folders, but my archive is mostly just forwarded reports, I don't even look at them when they come in, I just click move on them.

@AreYouKidden: start an action in your worlds forum to "get active against long loading times" and tell everybody to do just this, to start a new folder for the reports monthly, and after 1 month to delete the old one then in 4 weeks all the loading time problems will be over, and everybody profits of it

I agree entirely that this might help :p~
But saying it, and having people do it are two different things!

DeletedUser

I agree entirely that this might help :p~
But saying it, and having people do it are two different things!

tell them how much they all provite from this^^
bring them to tell all their tribe members to do this^^
convince them with a nice propa! :D

llt.png

my paint-skills suck :D

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Nevermind Tyhpi, I believe I found the info on the number of reports on W32.
Last Report ID I have is 70,013,426.

I'm assuming a table of 70 million reports would take time to query, no?
I can tell you that my village overviews are a pain to even load up, takes literally 10-15 seconds in many cases, depending on how many reports I have for the village.

Well my version would allow you to search for certain people and by villages within a certain area of coords and other things. Something I've done for my tribe before: http://www.twclaimer.com/reports.html. Its a simple thing that I manually made for people as I got reports in, but I can make something similar/better if people will use it.

Morthy

Developer
Elder Moderator
Reaction score
I use the village overview all the time for checking train times, so I can snipe manually instead of calculating. And although I like to be able to see intel when I click on a village overview, reality is, I don't generally look at that info probably more than 10% of the time I'm on a village overview, so having an alternate click would help.

I dont' suppose you'd be able to delete all my reports older than a month and save me the hassle of manually cutting down my reports? (c:

The oldest one I have is:
DODGE REPORT! Mar 16,2009 22:54

Is only a little old :p~

I should be able to do this yes, please send in a ticket with 'FAO Morthy' in the title.

DeletedUser

Morthy is a champ, and I should be up on the next episode of hoarders!

As of today I have:
>1< [2] [3] ... [4429] * 40 reports.

177,160 reports.

That's right...

>1< [2] [3] ... [637]

Only 25,480 reports now!
And everything is super quick on rally points, in my reports folders.

Morthy said:
2010-10-22 21:16:48
Great, your reports accounted for about 5% of the total reports on the server :)

Guess that means there were only 3.5 million reports on the server :p~

Thanks again Morthy, I appreciate it.