Q&D: [DISCUSSION] 8.5 Changelog

DeletedUser25

Flags Please note: current graphics are not final.
We've added a new feature called Flags! A single Flag can be assigned per village to provide a specific bonus, or unassigned after 24 hours and applied somewhere else instead. Upgrade Flags to increase their efficiency by combining 3 of the same level, to a max of level 9!

Flag bonus types:
-Resource production
-Unit production
-Attack strength
-Defense strength
-Luck balancer
-Population
-Reduced coin/package costs
-Resource carrying capacity

If you're looking for a Flag with a specific bonus type, you can trade Flags of the same level with your tribemates.

Earn Flags by:
-Defeating your enemy's armies (like earning Paladin items)
-Creating noblemen
-Achieving awards
-Completing certain quests
-Purchasing expansion packs
-Inviting friends

Best of all, your flag inventory is not bound to a single world, but instead to your account. If, for example, you earn a Flag on world 1, you can use it on world 3!
Flags will not be activated on existing worlds.

Other
- added names of other Wars to navigational arrows on War screen
- layout changes to logout page

DeletedUser

1) Why didn't you just replace the bad research system with a new one?

2) Could you provide some more explanations to the Flags? There are so many open questions ...

DeletedUser

Do flags stick around forever ie. If I earn a flag on w1, and use it there, can I unattach it and combine it with 2 other similar flags, which I then use on w5 for an account?

More simply, can flags be unattached from a village?

How does trading flags work? Is it up to each person (ie. can I trade 30 level 9 flags for a level 1 one), or do they have to be traded within a certain ratio?

Can multiple flags be put on a village?

Is the number of flags that can be earned per world more or less infinite (ie. you get one for every 10 nobles you make), or do caps increase up to a point where producing more is impossible/prohibitively difficult?

I have more, but I will post later

DeletedUser73

1) Why didn't you just replace the bad research system with a new one?

2) Could you provide some more explanations to the Flags? There are so many open questions ...

You'll need to join a world to find out how they work in practice, there's little point in us putting up a 5 page long documentation about it. If you've got specific questions: please ask them, so we can improve the changelog before we publish it in other versions. :)

Do flags stick around forever ie. If I earn a flag on w1, and use it there, can I unattach it and combine it with 2 other similar flags, which I then use on w5 for an account?

More simply, can flags be unattached from a village?

Yes, flags can be unattached after the assigning cooldown has worn off. (24 hours currently). Will add this answer to the changelog.

How does trading flags work? Is it up to each person (ie. can I trade 30 level 9 flags for a level 1 one), or do they have to be traded within a certain ratio?

Needs to be same level.

Can multiple flags be put on a village?

Nope, single flags per village.

Is the number of flags that can be earned per world more or less infinite (ie. you get one for every 10 nobles you make), or do caps increase up to a point where producing more is impossible/prohibitively difficult?

It becomes progressively more difficult to get flags from killing troops, getting it from being able to create nobles is already progressively more difficult because of the noble system, and awards and quests are capped.

I have more, but I will post later
Looking forward to it. :)

DeletedUser

Flags idea looks veeeery bad for me:

First - possibility of moving it from one world to another means that some players will play for many worlds just for getting flags and sending it to 'main' world. And this means that game is shifting towards "more time = better results" approach.
Second - it make harder to join Tribal-Wars for new players as thier rivals will be equipped with bonuses from the very start of game.
Third - another 'pay for advantage' feature

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser73

Flags idea looks veeeery bad for me:

First - possibility of moving it from one world to another means that some players will play for many worlds just for getting flags and sending it to 'main' world. And this means that game is shifting towards "more time = better results" approach.
Second - it make harder to join Tribal-Wars for new players as thier rivals will be equipped with bonuses from the very start of game.
Third - another 'pay for advantage' feature

1st: More time has always equaled better results.
2nd: We judged that disadvantage for new players to be insignificant when compared to other things, like experienced players farming. We'll see. :)
3rd: Flags purchasing doesn't give you anything that you couldn't get through other ways, but yes.

DeletedUser

typhi, what are colors
are those flag types or do they denote level/intensity?
Furthermore, could you post a breakdown?

Are the flags per noble 1 flag per noble, or is it every 5/10/20?

Is the carrying capacity flag troops or merchants (it matters, a lot :p)

EDIT:
Is this correct?
R - Resource Production
U - Unit production speed
A - Attack Power
D - Def power
L - Luck balance (is this that it drags toward zero, or you get +20 (when maxed) on all battles?)
F - Farm capacity
C - Gold Coin (and packet?) production costs
B - Carrying capacity (why is this B and not P or H for plunder or haul?, or M for merchants?)

grey
brown
red
yellow
green
blue
purple
cyan
black

marcus the mad

Reaction score
Colours are levels, in the order you posted them.

Carrying capacity is for hauls.

flag type is determined by the letter.

DeletedUser

I am going to give this a fair chance, but I do have reservations that it may be a gimmick too far.:icon_eek:

I hope the game doesn't go down the messy path that other similar games have gone down in an attempt to make it more interesting to new players.(sweat)

But "THIS IS BETA" ...... and we are here to test settings and expose any (bug) within these settings.

game on....(rofl)

DeletedUser

You'll need to join a world to find out how they work in practice, there's little point in us putting up a 5 page long documentation about it. If you've got specific questions: please ask them, so we can improve the changelog before we publish it in other versions. :)
First you didn't answer my first question. Why putting something completly new into the game instead of just improving an existing feature? For me all those advantages flags can give are clearly something you don't get by carring a flag, but by having the more advanced technology. So those things would be perfekt to replace the useless research system in the smith.
(I have ideas why you are going this way and why it might be better, but I want to know your thoughs about it.)

Second, you can write now a documentation (or big new page in the help) or you can leave the changelog and annoucment as it is and you will get millions of sad faces while people read those few information you provide. And those people will start asking question, many many questions, for sure and then the poor moderators of each market will have to answer the thousands question or leave your customers alone with their sad faces. You don't want your customers to be sad! ;D

You might be thinking, that providing only little information makes it more adventure to play Tribal Wars. But in my eyes you will motivate more players by giving them a specific target (how much bonus does those flags give, in procent?), a way to reach the target (how many enemies do I have to kill/how many nobles do I need to train to before I get a flag?) and also tell them what they can do and what they can NOT do (the new rules of the game). The rules might sound limiting, but in case of games rules create possiblities and a player wants to know his possibilities.

@daddy-jam: Testing things in a Beta not only means to find bugs, but find ways to improve the new features and in special cases also to remove bad features completly. Normally a Beta should be feature complete, but there should be at least the possiblity to adjust the new features.

marcus the mad

Reaction score
First you didn't answer my first question. Why putting something completly new into the game instead of just improving an existing feature? For me all those advantages flags can give are clearly something you don't get by carring a flag, but by having the more advanced technology. So those things would be perfekt to replace the useless research system in the smith.
(I have ideas why you are going this way and why it might be better, but I want to know your thoughs about it.)

Second, you can write now a documentation (or big new page in the help) or you can leave the changelog and annoucment as it is and you will get millions of sad faces while people read those few information you provide. And those people will start asking question, many many questions, for sure and then the poor moderators of each market will have to answer the thousands question or leave your customers alone with their sad faces. You don't want your customers to be sad! ;D

You might be thinking, that providing only little information makes it more adventure to play Tribal Wars. But in my eyes you will motivate more players by giving them a specific target (how much bonus does those flags give, in procent?), a way to reach the target (how many enemies do I have to kill/how many nobles do I need to train to before I get a flag?) and also tell them what they can do and what they can NOT do (the new rules of the game). The rules might sound limiting, but in case of games rules create possiblities and a player wants to know his possibilities.

@daddy-jam: Testing things in a Beta not only means to find bugs, but find ways to improve the new features and in special cases also to remove bad features completly. Normally a Beta should be feature complete, but there should be at least the possiblity to adjust the new features.

Not going the answer your first question.

The bonus for every flag's level is visible in the game by hovering over it, even if you don't have it.
How many enemies etc is visible underneath the flags in the flag overview
Don't know what you mean by 'rules'? I have an idea about what you mean though.

I'm also one of those poor moderators who'll be thrown a lot of questions, but we volunteered to answer them as correct as possible.

DeletedUser73

typhi, what are colors
are those flag types or do they denote level/intensity?
Furthermore, could you post a breakdown?

Are the flags per noble 1 flag per noble, or is it every 5/10/20?

Is the carrying capacity flag troops or merchants (it matters, a lot :p)

EDIT:
Is this correct?
R - Resource Production
U - Unit production speed
A - Attack Power
D - Def power
L - Luck balance (is this that it drags toward zero, or you get +20 (when maxed) on all battles?)
F - Farm capacity
C - Gold Coin (and packet?) production costs
B - Carrying capacity (why is this B and not P or H for plunder or haul?, or M for merchants?)

grey
brown
red
yellow
green
blue
purple
cyan
black

Colours are levels, as Marcus indicated.

For every noble slot.

Carrying capacity is for troops.

Luck balancing flag is for dragging down to 0.

Types of and strength of flags are shown when you mouse over them in the central flags screen, would save you some deduction time. :p

B = "booty" = "carrying capacity" because booty is what's used in the code, and those images were made by Morthy as placeholders until we get the final ones.

(I have ideas why you are going this way and why it might be better, but I want to know your thoughs about it.

Adding the advantages of flags to the Smithy would not be simply improving an existing feature - it too would be an entirely new feature: one that would perhaps be more complex than flags. We think it's easier this way. :p (A tech tree in the Smithy could definitely be cool, though.)

Also, the usefulness of the smithy system differs based on which settings are activated on a world.

You can see all of those things in the game itself. :) We've already got documentation, for internal purposes, so it's not even an issue of writing it. Besides the "discovery" thing, we also need people to be able to understand the feature without reading the documentation (since 99.9% never will), so not providing all info is also a test of how well we made the feature.

Definitely!

kmic

Reaction score
My first thought after 10mins playing with flag:
in one of the first quests we received our first flag. Next we'll have a quest to assign a flag to village and... our adventure with flags is stopped by 24h because we are unable to move it. I can imagine hundreds of players ask 15min after opening first "normal" world with flags... What more: in this second quest (with goal to assign a flag) we receive our second flag... and we cannot do anything with it. Little depressing for new players...

I think that good idea will be to remove or shorten this limitation eg. during beginners protection.
And other way - maybe this time could be depend of world speed and not be 24h forever? In beta (with speed 3) it seems to be definitely too long.

fp0815

Staemme in my heart <3
Reaction score
It's true that they can't do something productive with it in the beginning, but they can keep it for later use. It's not the target to waste all flags immediately as it becomes harder and harder during the game to get them and should be used wisely.

I don't see the point actually why it should be necessary to reduce the cooldown time. This would just mean that you use a flag for a few hours, then use the next one and so on.

DeletedUser

My first thought after 10mins playing with flag:
in one of the first quests we received our first flag. Next we'll have a quest to assign a flag to village and... our adventure with flags is stopped by 24h because we are unable to move it. I can imagine hundreds of players ask 15min after opening first "normal" world with flags... What more: in this second quest (with goal to assign a flag) we receive our second flag... and we cannot do anything with it. Little depressing for new players...

I think that good idea will be to remove or shorten this limitation eg. during beginners protection.
And other way - maybe this time could be depend of world speed and not be 24h forever? In beta (with speed 3) it seems to be definitely too long.

Click Me
Follow the above link, I have already jumped on this slight flaw, however for future worlds we know better now, where as some others still may not.

Also in regards to this I think 24 hours is more than fine, even for a speed 3 world, purely because of the facts when you get on the front lines you're going to have people chopping and changing flags as part of a defensive strategy, however I guess having shorter times could again show those who can juggle multiple things at once as apart of a whole new skill set.

It's true that they can't do something productive with it in the beginning, but they can keep it for later use. It's not the target to waste all flags immediately as it becomes harder and harder during the game to get them and should be used wisely.

Edit:
Wait what? Waste?!
Are you telling me if I now deactivate that defence bonus flag that I lose it? I surely hope not!

marcus the mad

Reaction score
No, you should not lose flags, the only way I can see you 'losing' your number of flags is by upgrading them to the next level OR to trade more for less.

DeletedUser

No, you should not lose flags, the only way I can see you 'losing' your number of flags is by upgrading them to the next level OR to trade more for less.

That's fine if you keep them.

I was under the belief somebody posted somewhere you can only trade one flag for one flag?

DeletedUser1454

good evening, can you help me find anything on the flags (help) and am not finding.

marcus the mad

Reaction score
That's fine if you keep them.

I was under the belief somebody posted somewhere you can only trade one flag for one flag?

You can trade multiple flags for one flag.

[spoil]
Tradeset.jpg
[/spoil]

good evening, can you help me find anything on the flags (help) and am not finding.

If you mean a wiki page, there is none. Could you please be more specific about what you can't find?